Unsealed wood can easily be damaged and deformed by lousy weather, mildew or UV rays. Using quality deck sealers is the perfect way to keeping your decks in good physical shape and extending their durability. With various deck brands and varying altitudes, it can be a nightmare for you to choose the best deck sealer that matches your needs. We understand well the essence of proper wood maintenance and the impact a poor quality sealers have. In this review, we have carefully reviewed the best deck sealers of 2017 to improve your shopping experience. Just take a look! Our Overall Best Pick ended up being the Ready Seal 512 5-Gallon Pail Natural Cedar Exterior Wood Stain and Sealer. Ready Seal Exterior wood stain and seller enhances the appearance of your wood without affecting its texture or grains and can be used in any temperature levels making it our best pick. Check Latest Price on Amazon Our Budget Pick would have to be the BOND DISTRIBUTING LTD 00200 Natural Wood Stain/Sealer. Bond natural wood stain/sealer is affordable and suitable for both professional and DIYers making it our best budget pick. Check Latest Price on Amazon
Quick Comparison: Top 6 Best Deck Sealers[table id=44 /]
1. BOND DISTRIBUTING LTD 00200 Natural Wood Stain/SealerCheck Latest Price on Amazon This product from Bond can be used as a stain preservative or sealer. For new improved look, the sealer is made to restore color on any wood. This makes the product stand out from other sealers in the market. The no-drip formula does not crack, chip, or even overlap giving you optimal results. I would recommend this product to professionals or DIYers who are looking for a quality deck sealer that will work best on any wood.
- Can restore color on any wood
- For optimal results, the no-drip formula does not chip, crack or overlap
- Ideal for professionals and DIYers
- Can be used as a stain preservative and a sealer
- Available in gallon size
- Will require application from time to time to ensure your wood is in good physical shape
2. Ready Seal 512 5-Gallon Pail Natural Cedar Exterior Wood Stain and SealerCheck Latest Price on Amazon Are you looking for a quality deck sealer for your exterior wood projects? Then this wood stain and sealer from Ready seal can be a good choice for you. This oil-based semi-transparent stain comes in a wide range of colors, giving users the freedom to choose their preferred colors. The sealer is formulated to give users easy application. It's waterproofing, UV blocking, and mildew resistant properties help reduce maintenance. That’s not all; the sealer helps improve the natural appearance of the wood without affecting the visibility of texture and wood grain making the product stand out from other sealers.
- Suitable for exterior wood projects like decking, patio covers, fencing, gazebos, and siding
- Available in a wide variety of colors
- Resistant to mildew, water, and UV rays
- Reduces maintenance levels
- Improves the natural beauty of wood without affecting the texture and wood grains
- Can be applied in any temperature ranges
- Can be applied using a roller, spray or brush
- No wet line application or back brushing is required
- Not recommended to be applied on stained or painted surfaces
- you will have to wait for about 14 days for it to reach its actual color after application
3. DEFY Extreme 1 Gallon Exterior Wood StainCheck Latest Price on Amazon Defy Extreme stain is a premium wood stain which is designed using state of the art to give users optimal results. The product is made using Nano technology to offer a test of time in the wood stain finish that has not been available in the past. Defy Extreme is specifically designed to be used on exterior and interior wood surfaces such as decks, wood siding, pressure treated logs, fences, log homes, outdoor wood furniture's, shake shingles and other natural wooden surfaces. The product is available in 6 semi-transparent colors which include redwood, butternut, cedar tone, driftwood gray, natural pine, and light walnut. Defy Extreme is made using high-quality resins which have excellent resistance to darkening or fading impacts. One thing that makes this amazing deck sealer to stand out from other products is its absorption properties which allow it to penetrate into the wood fibers preventing any graying effect and water perforation by 90%. This makes the wood to retain its beautiful natural look for longer. I would recommend this product to anyone who is in need of a high-quality deck sealer for both exterior and interior use.
- Easy to use
- Suitable for exterior and interior wooden surfaces
- High-quality resins for better resistance to darkening and fading effects
- Easily penetrates into wood fibers preventing water and graying impact
- Minimizes wood maintenance
- The sealer does not dry quickly. You will be required to wait for 20 minutes to apply another coating
4. Cabotstain 140.0003460.005/3460 Australian Timber Oil Penetrating OilCheck Latest Price on Amazon CabotStain is a tested translucent oil treatment ideal for teak, mahogany and any other exotic premium wood surfaces. To stress patina and natural wood depth, the product penetrates well into dense resin-rich woods. This makes CabotStain stand out from other sealers. Depending on the porosity, CabotStain deck sealer can cover between 400 to 600 square feet for smooth surfaces while for rough surfaces, the product can cover between 250 to 350 square feet. To ensure UV surfaces that are lasting and rich in dimension and color, you will be required to add complex translucent iron oxide pigments.
- Apart from being used on wooden surfaces the product is ideal for cooking accessories, appliance parts, and accessories
- Penetrates well into dense resin-rich woods
- Easy to use
- Requires users to add complex translucent iron oxide pigments for lasting UV surfaces
5. MESSMER'S WDA-1 16 oz Part A Wood CleanerCheck Latest Price on Amazon MESSMER’S wood and deck cleaner is specially designed to help you keep and maintain your wooden surfaces and decks in good physical shape. With this product, you can clean up to 600 square feet. The ability of MESSMER’s deck cleaner to add extra shine to your product makes it stand out from other products. You can get rid of any dust, pollen, and dirt on your wooden surfaces with it.
- Can clean up to 600 square feet
- Add extra polish to your products
- Can clean pollen, dust, and dirt on your wooden surfaces
- To make your surfaces brighter, you will require MESSMER's part B which serves as a brightener
6. DEFY Extreme 1 Gallon Semi-Transparent Exterior Wood StainCheck Latest Price on Amazon Defy Extreme has produced another fantastic semitransparent exterior wood stain. The brand boasts a Nano technology which creates a level of durability on their products. One thing that makes this product stand out from the rest is that it’s environmentally friendly and easy to use even for rookies. For better resistance to darkening and fading, Defy Extreme wood stain is made of high-quality resins which are incredibly durable minimizing maintenance. The presence of zinc Nanoparticles helps prevents UV rays effects as well as improving mildew resistance. The product is ideal to be used on fences, outdoor patios, play sets, wood deck staining, siding and more. One benefit of using Defy Extreme wood stain is that it’s easy to maintain. I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a quality deck sealer which shows the wood grains with a lovely semi-transparent natural finish.
- Easy to maintain
- Contains zinc Nanoparticles which act as UV rays and mildew resistant
- High-quality resins for preventing any darkening or fading
- Environmentally friendly
- Can cover between 150-300 square feet
- You will be required to wait for 20 minutes to apply another coating
- for extended lifespan out of defy stains, you will be required to use Defy wood brightener
Importance of using deck sealers
- Improves the appearance of your wood decks
- Enhances durability of your wood
- Prevents any effects of UV rays, water or mildew
- Minimizes the maintenance levels of your wood decks
What to look for in a deck sealer
Resistance propertiesSeasonal changes, water, and UV rays can cause massive destruction to wood. Taking a look at how your wood deck overcomes these effects will help give your extended wood lifespan.
ColorClear wood stains will change the color of your wood while oil-based ones tend to make the wood appear dark a little. Know precisely which color works best for you to avoid any disappointments.
DurabilityDeck sealers are not the same. While others will last for a more extended period, others will require regular maintenance. Buying a quality sealer will not only serve you for more extended periods but also save you time.
Mode of applicationMost deck sealers can be applied using a brush while others will allow you to use sprayer or rollers. A deck sealer that can be applied using different methods will give you flexibility, especially for large areas.
QualityWhile deck sealers are specifically designed to enhance the appearance and longevity of your wood, their quality differs. Premium quality sealers withstand a test of time and save you money.
Application areasDeck sealers work best on different materials. For optimal results choose your products depending on the wood materials. Choosing a deck sealer which is ideal for both exterior and interior use will give you the freedom of keeping your wood decks in good physical shape.
Coverage areaDeck sealers which cover large extended areas are economical. Check out the area your deck sealer can cover to calculate how many gallons you will require to get your project done.
MaintenanceThe maintenance of deck sealers is not the same. While some will require you to add another coating on your wood, others will call for sanding and scrubbing before applying your sealer. Easy to maintain sealers will save you time and are highly recommended.
What makes a good deck sealer?
- Ability to resist water, UV rays, and mildew effects
- Enhances the appearance of your wood surfaces without affecting the texture or wood grains
- Ideal for different wooden surfaces
- Easy to use and maintain
Final VerdictYou cannot go wrong with a quality deck sealer. The benefits these products offer to your wood decks are incomparable to none. An excellent deck sealer should be easy to use, easy to maintain and resistant to mildew, water, and UV rays.
Featured Image Legacy