In simple words, a winch is a device that can pull something up, in or forward with help of a wire. It is like a crank and spool that is basically found in elevators, tow trucks, sailboat or even in jeeps. Today, we focus on winches for jeeps and if you love your vehicle, then read this post till the end to find the best ones for you. To be precise, jeep enthusiasts know the importance of durability as they have to handle extreme situations more than often. Winches are used widely in military vehicles and they certainly use the best winches for jeep like the ones we have discussed down under.
Here comes our 6 best winches for jeeps.
Table of Contents
- Quick Comparison Between the 6 Best Jeep Winches
- How to Choose the Best Jeep Winches
- Final Verdict
Quick Comparison Between the 6 Best Jeep Winches
Smittybilt is known to have been a pioneer in the off road industry for 50 years now.
It is true that there are a few names that can match up their quality and standards. They manufacture accessories that are functional and have an innovative edge. In the same way, this waterproof winch with an UV resistant body is quite a phenomenon.
In addition to all this, it comes with a lifetime mechanical warranty from the manufacturer and that pretty much speaks about it.
- This can work on any kind of terrain and makes your life easy by putting up a fierce fight
- It allows for wireless operation that makes it hassle free for you
- It can pull 10,000 pounds by a single line
- Dynamic Braking System makes it long lasting
- It is made from stainless steel that makes the hardware durable
- Runs with a 6.6 Horsepower Amphibious motor
- Comes with synthetic line that is preferred by many experts
- Is backed by 5 years electrical warranty
- Has a black textured finish that makes it look stylish
- It is strong and weighs 99 pounds
- Comes along with an integrated wireless remote
- It has oversized tie rods that offer you maximum support
- It is waterproof and rated IP68 which means it can remain submerged for half an hour in water
- Most importantly, you get a brand name
- It has multiple options for mounting that you can choose according to your convenience
- In case you are operating with gloves, the larger clutch proves to be more than accommodating
- The wireless remote needs to be looked into by the manufacturer
- You need to buy the lead mount
If you are an adventure lover and explore new places in your all-terrain vehicle or an ATV, then you verily know the significance of a winch. WARN winches are known for their technical excellence and performance.
The best part about these winches is that they can fit into a tight budget. These are considered for next generation SUV’s and trucks in general. Their hydraulic and electrical winches are supported with 1 year of warranty and that makes them super reliable.
Let us have a look at this tool in details.
- This a compact winch that can fit into ATV pretty well
- It gives you easy control with its dash mounted switches
- The mini rocker handlebars can further aid in accessing your winch
- Comes with a recorded remote to assist you in the most difficult of situations
- This is a solid winch but is light in weight
- Has a magnet motor (permanent) that can deliver power whenever required
- It has an ergonomic handle with clutch that serves you in the best possible ways
- Works with a mechanical spring brake
- It has a chic look that helps it fit into any vehicle
- It is corrosion resistant
- It comes with lightweight rope that is made from wires of aircraft grade
- This is a workhorse from a power house like Warn
- Can pull up to 4000 pounds
- Has dynamic braking system that acts distinctively on different terrains
- In fact, it has what is called the 3-stage planetary gear that helps in smooth running
- Comes with 5 years warranty
- The wires that come with it are small, that may not be that ideal for a big ATV
- Does not come with a wireless remote control
When a 50 year old manufacturer designs a device, more often than not, it turns out to be a reliable one. True is the case with the Smittybilt 98495 that happens to be a strong puller with the capacity of 9500 pounds.
It is a faster solution with 6.6 Horsepower motor that have Three-Stage Planetary Gear for rapid recovery. It is needless to say that this makes it a versatile winch that can work at lightning speed.
Special mention required for the Smittybilt 3 year electrical warranty that makes all the difference.
- This winch has a beautiful textured black finish
- Has rating of waterproofing IP67
- Capacity of single line is 9500 pounds
- Works with an Automatic In-Drum that makes it safer
- Minimum requirement for battery for winching is 650CCA
- The fairlead is Hawse based
- Comes with lifetime mechanical warranty that suggests it is a reliable product
- This is very easy to install
- Has simple instructions and wiring that helps even a layman to get started with it
- The 3 stage gear makes this winch faster and adaptable
- The remote control helps to operate it effortlessly
- You get associated with a brand name that has been dependable for years
- This winch is light in weight and weighs about 78 pounds, but is sturdy enough to carry out a seamless operation
- The control box is mounted on top that gives you operational ease
- Smittybilt believes in fair pricing and not overpricing
- It does not come with a neoprene cover that can be found with these tools
- You need to find a place to install it close to the battery unit of your car
Smittybilt is a 50 year old company that knows how to manufacture off road devices. It has to be mentioned that it manufactures the best winches for jeep and the Smittybilt 97495 is no exception to this.
With a corded remote control facility and being completely waterproof, it has proven to have become a savior for road junkies. Moreover, this has a capacity to pull a beastly weight of 9500 pounds and that is not something flimsy for sure. The main imperative of Smittybilt 97495 is to assist you when you are in dire need and it so far has succeeded in performing up to these expectations.
Do read this section with care, if you are planning to invest in a winch right away.
- Has a gorgeous black polish
- It is waterproof and has been rated with IP67
- It weighs only 78 pounds but can successfully pull 9500 pounds
- This means it is sturdy and the wires are strong enough to withstand a lot
- The brake is Automatic In-Drum that hints at the tool being a safer option
- You get a lifetime mechanical warranty
- It comes with 5 years electrical warranty
- It is a good looking winch
- Is built keeping in mind about next generation technology
- So, it can be mounted easily on all SUVs and ATVs
- That implies it is easy to use
- The instructions actually make it simple
- The XRC is a quick recovery system that can rescue you out of any situation
- The remote control could be a major cause of trouble
- You may find hard to connect the electrical cables
Did you know that WARN is present in 65 countries across the world? That didn’t happen overnight, but with dedication of manufacturing high quality products at affordable prices did the wonders for them. Of course, it took them years of practice and innovative technology to get known.
If truth be told, then it has to be stated that the VR series primarily eyes SUVs and trucks, but are considered as entry level winches. Nonetheless, this does not mean they are weak, but on the contrary are durable and smooth enough to pull 10,000 pounds of weight by single line! Can you guess how much the winch weighs? It weighs only 89 pounds and it can perform like that.
It certainly makes it incredible and all you need is a little patience to learn it.
- This is a fast line powered winch
- It is reliable and works real quick
- Comes with a 12 feet weather resistant and rubberized remote control
- The control pack makes you in charge completely as you can operate the winch right from your vehicle
- The Hawse has aluminum matte finish
- It uses 100 feet of 3/8 inches of synthetic Spydura from WARN
- Has been backed by limited lifetime warranty by WARN
- Overall, a smart looking winch with a powder coat
- The design is kept minimalist
- Comes with a 3 stage planetary gear that make it quick
- It is easy to install
- The instructions are simple to follow
- Can fit into any type of next generation SUV or truck
- The biggest problem lies in the that it is not made in the US
- WARN does not build these in house, but imports them
Superwinch states that the second generation of LP8500 is designed to fit any 4x4 vehicle. That said, it can work with jeeps, RVs and trailers as well quite effectively.
It can pull anything of 8,500 pounds with a 4.5 Horsepower motor. It makes use of sealed solenoid technology to ensure safety. Yes, Superwinch is all about safety and it prefers manufacturing products that their winch remains safe under all weather conditions.
The electromagnetic power makes it authoritative and it can deliver its best under pressure. Let us have a look at this winch in details, so that you can get an idea as to what it is like.
- Has a solid construction
- Comes with powder coated hawse
- The clutch has a free pooling facility
- Can withstand weather conditions
- Has 94 feet steel wire of 5/16 inches
- Is equipped with 3-stage planetary gear that makes it superfast
- Brake is automatic and can hold mechanical load quite efficiently
- Quality product but priced affordably
- 2 years limited warranty makes it a deal
- Is an efficient winch with a powerful motor
- It is a quiet tool to work with
- It is an effortless task to install it
- Has a heavy duty latched hook that comes with a thimble
- No rope slippage to fear
- The remote control is rubberized to fend off any kind of surroundings
- It comes with 15 feet long extension cable for further assistance
- Readily available at major online retail stores
- Packaging is an issue and that needs to be checked on
- Be careful while choosing a seller as you may come across cheap duplicates too
How to Choose the Best Jeep Winches
As for those of you thinking how you can choose the winch that suits your requirements, you have reached right place for that. We have got you covered and we would like to share some pointers about choosing the best winch for your jeep here.
If the gross vehicle weight or GVWR of your jeep is 5000 pounds then you need to multiply with 1.5 and you will get the pulling capacity required. On a safe side you can invest in a winch that can pull 9000 to 9500 pounds easily.
To be honest, you must consider wire rope for abrasive situations and utility tasks. On the other hand, synthetic ropes are good for mud as they are extremely light in weight. You are free to decide depending on the terrain you usually prowl.
Electric or Hydraulic
Especially for jeeps, you must give the electrical one a serious thought. This is because you will be using it occasionally in most cases. After all, a hydraulic and an electrical winch differ in their duty cycle only. An electric winch can serve you even if the engine is dead and that makes sense for jeepers at least.
Just remember one thing before you set out to work with the best winches for jeep and that would be to keep your safety gear with you. That is correct, you must ensure when working with a winch that you have your jacket on and protected by all means. You certainly do not want to get hurt in the process of pulling up a vehicle. There is no need as we have already warned you and now you know what is right. Hope you would keep this in mind and maintain good working habits for good.