Remember waking up on those cold January mornings with a face that feels more like Michael Myers’ than your own? Or the constant flaking of dry itchy skin that seems to have aged a hundred years since you last slathered it with petroleum jelly?
If there is anything more difficult than forgetting the pain and embarrassment of putting up with skin that’s rapidly drying on you, it’s the hassle of finding the right product for it before winter sets in again. But your search for the best moisturizer for men could finally be coming to an end. Whether it’s a retinol-infused men's moisturizer you want or one better suited to your wallet, you may just find the perfect solution to your nagging dry skin problem in the list below.
Table of Contents
- 1. Brickell Men's Daily Essential Face Moisturizer
- 4. L’Oreal Vita Lift Daily Moisturizer For Men
- 5. Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturizer
- 6. Cetaphil PRO Moisturizer With SPF 30
- 7. Stay Sharp Naturals Anti-Aging Face Cream
- 8. Every Man Jack Face Lotion and Post-Shave
- 9. Bulldog Age Defence Moisturizer for Men
- Off to buy a moisturizer? Things you should consider first
- Do you need high SPF moisturizers?
- A moisturizer I picked says it has retinol. What’s that, really?
- Should I go for a lightweight, non-greasy facial lotion?
- My men's face moisturizer contains some weird acid. Help!
- This product is silent on animal testing. Should I care?
• An oil-free moisturizer that quickly soaks into the skin, nourishing it without imparting any greasiness
• Enriched with natural ingredients such as aloe, jojoba oil, vitamin E and green tea, which have anti-aging properties
• Works for all men's skin types—normal skin, oily skin, sensitive skin, dry skin or anything in between
• Certified vegan with 100% organic ingredients and no animal testing
• Unscented variant for those who don't like the woody fragrance that traditionally accompanies men’s facial moisturizer
REPORTED DRAWBACK: Some found it too watery
VERDICT: Holistic in every way
• Non-greasy, non-oily face lotion that doubles as an eye cream and great for dry skin
• Fragrance-free formula works for those averse to strong scents or have sensitive skin
• Infused with natural peptides, hyaluronic acid, organic jojoba oil, shea butter and multiple botanical antioxidants
• Enhanced dispensing mechanism to prevent clogging of pump
REPORTED DRAWBACK: Reduction in bottle size from 4 fl oz to 3.5 fl oz
VERDICT: A great multitasker
• Unique water-based formulation of passionflower fruit, green tea and willow bark extracts nourishes and revitalizes the skin
• Lightweight consistency makes it ideal for oily skin
• Free of parabens and phthalates, with a mild fragrance that won’t assault your senses or sensitive skin
REPORTED DRAWBACK: Some found the moisturizer too light for harsh winters
VERDICT: No-nonsense skin care. Period
• Fulfills daily moisturizing needs while fighting signs of aging
• Combines moisturizer with broad spectrum SPF 15 protection for brief outings in the sun
• Pro-retinol and par-elastyl content helps smooth wrinkles and fortify skin on the face and neck
• Available in a non-sticky base that gets absorbed easily and great for dry skin
REPORTED DRAWBACK: A few reported acne breakouts
VERDICT: The retinol champ
• Great at ensuring all-day hydration for dry to oily skin
• SPF 20 formula shields skin from premature aging due to solar exposure
• Blue algae, sea parsley, rosemary and phospholipid extracts make the product anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory in nature
• Grease-free texture makes it ideal for use at all times of day
REPORTED DRAWBACK: Some users were bothered by its price
VERDICT: Ideal all-rounder
• Combines moisturizer with SPF 30 broad spectrum sunscreen protection for especially scorching days
• Oleosome technology holds back on sunscreen filters to ensure less irritation and greater hydration
• Provides for fast absorption, leaving skin with a pleasing matte finish
• Armed with a reputation of trust that goes all the way back to Texas in the 1940s
REPORTED DRAWBACK: Could get greasy owing to high SPF
VERDICT: Your best bet against the sun
• Gently exfoliates skin, removing dead cells while moisturizing it
• A great anti aging moisturizer, loaded with beneficial ingredients such as organic aloe, squalane, jojoba oil and green tea
• Forms an invisible coating that protects skin from environmental toxins
• Non-greasy nature provides for day-long hydration while making the skin supple
REPORTED DRAWBACK: Users divided on the choice of fragrance
VERDICT: Light in nature, tough on action
• Heals dry or razor irritated skin without blocking pores
• Aloe and jojoba oil hydrate all skin types without prejudice
• Made mostly with plant-based ingredients, sans parabens or phthalates
• Certified "cruelty free" by PETA and packaged in recycled plastic
REPORTED DRAWBACK: Fragrance indiscernible even in ‘sandalwood’ and ‘natural menthol’ variants
VERDICT: The green option
• A non-greasy moisturizer enriched with 5 essential oils, millet seeds and oak tannins for younger-looking skin
• Completely devoid of synthetic fragrances and artificial colours, with a complex minty scent developed through natural processes
• Despite the name, Bulldog Age Defence Moisturizer is vegan with no animal testing going into its development
• Specially formulated to care for men’s skin while going extremely easy on their wallets
REPORTED DRAWBACK: No UV protection
VERDICT: Best overall
Off to buy a moisturizer? Things you should consider first
With winter just a few months away, you will soon have to choose from an array of moisturizers flooding the market to add to your skincare lineup. There will be many a promise made, with each product boasting of unpronounceable ingredients that you just can't seem to get your tongue around. But how do you decide what exactly works for you? We answer some frequently asked questions that may just help you decide.
Do you need high SPF moisturizers?
SPF, or sun protection factor, is an approximate measure of the duration a sunscreen protects you from Ultraviolet A and B rays. However, most daily moisturizers account only for a paltry SPF 15 rating, which will not provide enough protection to somebody heading out for a long day under the sun. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends using a sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher for such users, and if outdoorsy activities are what you have in mind, you could head straight for the Cetaphil PRO Moisturizer.
A moisturizer I picked says it has retinol. What’s that, really?
Retinol is an over-the-counter product that contains retinoids, which are basically topical vitamin A-based drugs that have proved effective in reducing signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles. However, as some retinol-based products can cause skin dryness and irritation, doctors usually recommend using them only before turning in for the night.
Should I go for a lightweight, non-greasy facial lotion?
By all means! Greasy lotions that are difficult for the skin to absorb could end up clogging pores, causing pimples to break out. However, going for a moisturizer that’s too watery may not be of much help on an especially dry winter day either.
My men's face moisturizer contains some weird acid. Help!
Relax. It's hyaluronic acid, a powerful moisture-retention agent capable of holding up to 1,000 times its molecular weight in water. Even celebrities swear by it — just ask Kim!
This product is silent on animal testing. Should I care?
It's common knowledge that certain cosmetic firms continue to put animals through torturous testing processes despite the availability of vitro methods that are cheaper, quicker and just as informative. It's cruel, undoubtedly, but the final decision on buying their products is for the consumer to make.
Of the many moisturizers above, each with a unique character suited to a particular skin type, the Bulldog Age Defence Moisturizer emerges as the undisputed first for maintaining healthy skin.
Why? When it comes to safeguarding your body from cold and dry conditions, the moisturizer can be just as loyal as the beast it is named after. Enriched with a winning combination of essential oils and natural ingredients, it actively revitalizes your skin into looking noticeably younger in a matter of weeks. What's more, it comes from a wholly vegan establishment committed to the idea of keeping animals out of labs.
Bulldog doesn't offer SPF protection, but that doesn’t seem to bother its admirers. They are purists.
Enter your text here...