Long gone are days when people used to use sandpapers with hands to smoothen wooden or metal surface. At present, there have been so many electronic devices to smoothen even harder surface with more perfection. Random orbital sanders are one of those electronic devices. The manufacturers have worked hard to lessen the human effort. Now since it has been a long time since the sanders have been made, the manufacturer also updated the sanders into a different level of comfort. It not only reduces your effort but also makes the device comfortable to work with. The including of textured grips, alteration of power on the basis of the material, different size of disk or grits for edges and centers. All these Sanders features make the usage of the Sanders a delight. This is the point when everything starts to get clumsy and complex. Because these are the features which are helpful individually. A person or a user might not need all of this at once. Since the value of the device depends on a lot on the features, it is important to focus and understand the purpose of the features. As so we have thoroughly reviewed the best random orbit sanders on the market and discussed all the important features and tips of using the random orbit sanders.
Top 5 Random Orbital Sanders of 2017[table id=7 /]
5 Best Random Orbital Sander Reviews
1. DEWALT D26453K Random Orbit Sander KitIf you are struggling to get a smooth surface and desired to finish then the DEWALT orbital sander is the best one for you. It has 3 amp motor with a nice grip so that you can control it with ease. The holding of the sander has been made easy with textured grip because the result also depends on the handling of the sander. Its durable design and sealed ball bearings make it a long lasting instrument to buy. The controlling finishing system that it has maintains such a speed which allows the work done in a beautiful way. It also has the dust sealed switch which prevents dust from going inside which results in a long life of the machine. It comes with a vacuum adapter which can be used to vacuum the dust produced from working. The dust bag is reliable and very well built. The feature of adjustable opm from (7000-12000) OPM gives you a good range to choose from the particular works.
- 3 amp motor
- 5-inch variable speed
- Cloth dust bag with vacuum adapter and tool bag
- Adjustable from 7000-12000 omp
- Anti- vibration design
- Textured grip
- Utilizes 5 inches and 8 hole hook and loop
- Versatile design
- Fast disk change
- Easy to use
- Practice is necessary
2. Bosch ROS20VSK Random Orbit Sander KitThis polisher kit will provide you with the best finishing touch with woods or whatever you make with woods. A perfect choice for the wood workers or for anyone who works with wood. It gives much perfection to the work. For the smoothest and fastest performance, this sander is recommended because of its pad orbit combinations and fast working capability. The design is made in a way so that, there is no mark left on the wood after finishing the work. They built the whole thing about the mark lifting of the sander because it was one of the common negative reviews. The internal pad dampening plays the main role against the marks. One of the qualities that every sander should possess is that the control over the speed of the polisher. Otherwise, with a fixed speed, it becomes hard to get a perfect end result. This sander gives a wide range of adjustable speed from 7500-12000 opm. Because of being a lightweight sander it Sanders flexibility and a unique comfort level while using. Cleaning the dust after finishing the woodwork is the worst thing that we have to do, and the more dangerous thing that the dust particles also enters our body through breathing. So there is a microfilter dust system to take in those 1/2 micron dust particles inside the sander so that they don't get into through breathing. The sander includes 5-inch random orbit sander, a backing pad, a sanding disk, vacuum hose adapter and a carrying case. With the microcellular backing pad, you can have the buttery finish. This one gives you very low vibrations as well.
- 2.5 AMP
- 8 feet long cord
- 5 inch disc size
- 7500-12000 OPM
- Twist-off dust canister shows dust level
- Microfilter system
- Hook and loop disk attachment( 35000 long-life hooks)
- Variable speed dial
- Anti spillback canister design
- Smooth finish
- Well designed
- Comfortable to work
- Instruction should be followed by the users
3. Black & Decker BDERO100 Random Orbit SanderIf you want a random sander with the fastest and professional looking finishes to your wood works then this is the one you need. It has a system which they mention as hook and loop which helps to make it this sander a fast one. And like all other sanders, it has one important feature which is the sealed switch. The main purpose is to prevent dust from accumulating in the switch area. As a result, it works well for a long time. This sander is efficient and reliable. The manufacturer made it easy for the paper change and for that they added hook and loop system.
- Made for high removal rate
- High-quality finish
- Hook and loop system
- Dust sealed switch
- Hybrid dust canister
- Sanding sheet
- Fast function
- Easy installation of paper
- Easy to handle
- Easy to clean
- Dust canister
- Changing disks need attention
4. Makita BO5041K Random Orbit Sander KitThis one is the sander in the list with the longest range of variable speed control. It is offering a 4000-12000 OPM range so that you can choose whatever the speed you want for that particular work. The 3 AMP motor is fast and it has a longer tool life. The oversized sealed ball bearing design helps it to work for a longer period of time, which you will not find in many other models. The adjustable handle at the front plays a great role to use the sander with ease. It becomes very easy to sand in the corners and edges. Other than that the handles have been made with ergonomic rubberized handles for ones again. This sander is also providing a pad collection which is done through the pad, that is it collects the dust as soon as it has been produced and thus the environment and the user health remains clean and healthy. This sander comes with the best precision, adjustability and innovative features to help any sort of wood smoothening. The abrasive disc and the dust bag that comes with the kit are for making the use of the machine easy. The installation and other using manuals are also easy to understand. The design of this sander has been made easy to use, comfortable to control and accurate to get the finest result out of it.
- 3 AMP motor
- Speed range 4000-12000 OPM
- Controllable speed feature
- Ergonomic rubberized palm grip
- Adjustable front handle
- Two finger trigger switch
- Pad control system for speed upon start up
- Dust control system
- High capacity dust collecting system
- Double insulated
- Keeps environment clean
- Good performance
- Smooth finish
- Practice for the best result
5. PORTER-CABLE 382 Random Orbit SanderThis sander is full of features only to make your sanding experience a little more comfortable and easy. All the sanders on the market will give you good finishes, that is the main work of the Sanders. But the Sanders that stand out among all of them needs to offer something different. This sander is that type of different one. It has the maximum speed to give you the desirable finish. But it makes the whole work easy with its controllable pad speed and also reduces gouging. The sander is compatible to 5 and Sander hole hook and loop paper. It doesn't leave swirl marks in the woods which is one of the hated things about a sander. It has the best control over speed. Anyone will feel comfortable while using it because of its lightweight. It has a 1.9 AMP motor which has to speed up to 12000 OPM. The ball bearing capability makes it durable and long lasting tool. The problem of uniqueness of the user has been minimized by introducing dual plane counterbalanced fan.
- Dual plane counter
- 100% ball bearing construction
- Maximum sanding speed for smooth finishes
- Controlled finishing system
- Minimum gouging
- Dual plane counterbalanced fan
- Dust sealed switch
- Reduces user fatigue
- Easy controls
- Anti-dust design
- Long life of tool
- The motor could have been better
Things to Consider Before Buying the Best Random Orbital Sanders for the Money
Why Buy a Random Orbit Sander?If you are passionate about wood works then you will know how those uneven surfaces of wood disturb. But on the other hand, the smoother the wood surface the happier you will be. If you are getting this for carpentry works then you don't need to know what it is. But just to clarify for anyone who is reading this article, the random orbital sander is capable of smoothing any wood surface like furniture, a craft or a wooden project. This will get rid of the unwanted marks from the wood as well. You can also use it on other materials to smoothen the surface. This is usually used before the final touch of varnish or painting or whatever the design you want to have. The last touch makes all the difference in the outcome.
How Does it Work?The advantage you are getting with a random orbit sander is that you can use it on any material to smoothen the surface. It uses different shapes of patterns, it depends on the owners choice. And the new features like controllable speed, strong grips, and ball bearing feature it has become very easy to adjust the range, handle the machine and doing the work with minimum fatigue.
Types of Random Orbit SandersThere are mainly three types of random orbit sanders. One is known for the grip style, one is known for its power and the last one for its versatility.
The One With The GripThe palm grip style sander is the ones which have a strong grip for comfortable using the tool. It makes the movement of the machine easy and makes the user less fatigue. With some little effort, the user can easily finish of his work with the pal grip style sanders. It is best for the small wood projects.
The One With the PowerPower is the most important thing in a sander that you should look for. The more the power the faster the work is done. So for the highest power, you should try the right angle style sander. Usually, the pad movement, internal functioning systems are higher in all right angle style sanders. Though the power remains high the average speed is low in this type of sander.
The One With VersatilityThe large in-line sanders are the perfect versatile Sanders which come with all the updated features and varieties of functions. The speed can be controlled between a huge range so that the user can control in the risky spots. It has powerful motors and this is usually large because of powerful Sanders as well.
Learn How to Handle the SanderThere is a much possibility of accidents to yourself or the project you are handling, it is important to clarify that both are important and should take care of. The user should learn how to hold the sander, not to put it on any liquid substance, not to leave it on and never ever to leave it on the project subject. Otherwise, it will give you an unbalanced surface.
ProtectionWearing a glass to protect the eyes and to keep other things in the workplace covered which might get spoiled because of the dust is very important.
PrecautionHealth is as important as work. Though all the sanders have dust collecting bags and processes so that it can prevent dust from spreading in the air. But the fact is there will be so much dust particles that it would rather be a risk to rely on the machine's anti-dust features. So always wear a mask.
Choosing the Right SanderThe sanding grits or disks are bought separately of different size and shapes for different tasks. So it is very important to buy a sander, on which the grits and disks fit perfectly. On the other hand, you can also buy the sander first and then try the grits and disks on it while buying.
Study Before You BuyIt is very important to know the features and how those features will work for you. It becomes necessary when you are buying it for the first time, but it is also important for the buyers who already know but need new ones.
Features to Look in a Random Orbital Sander
Hook and loop MethodIn every product description, you will find that there is a feature named hook and loop. Different Sanders and models have different size of hook and loops. In random orbit sanders, it is very easy to change the sand paper and very fast as well.
Controllable SpeedIn many sanders on the market you will find that the speed of the sander is fixed and in many others, you will find that it can be altered according to your need. By speed here I mean that the speed in which the disk or grit rotates, not the faster work. The sanders which speed can of are the best ones for getting a good finishing. On sensitive areas or just before final touch it is very useful to use it on low speed. The ones who are not professional will never be able to work with the fix high speed of some Sanders. So it will be wise to use the ones with variable speed selection.
Dust CannisterYou might find this feature to be a little confusing, or it might confuse you after buying the sander. The main purpose of this feature is to keep the workplace clean and collects the dust made from sanding sometimes into a included dust bag. You will still need a mask to protect yourself because when it comes to health, that should be the first priority. So for health purpose try to buy a sander with vacuum or dust canister.
GripsYou might get the correct size of the disk and grit, the correct size correct size sander with a vacuum system as well, but having all these features altogether, you might still feel uncomfortable while working with it. That is because of the unfriendly grips. At present, the grip construction of sander has been paid proper attention, so that the user doesn't feel fatigue after using it. Apart from this reason a lot of the quality of work depends on the grip. The better the grip the better the finishing will be. So before buying a sander hold it, play with it a while to understand if you will be comfortable with it or not. Pay attention to how heavy the sander is, if the switches are reachable with your hands, or is that sander full of features which some might find complicated to handle. Some also come with a textured grip so that the sander doesn't slip from the hands.
Long Power CordSanders are not clearly a machine to use sitting at one place. Even sanding of an average size wood plank needs a movement to have the best finishing. That is why long cords are of very important. Because you will be doing works with much bigger planks or projects than an average wood plank. It will need more ports at the place where you are working, we all know how disturbing that is. This is why you should buy a sander with long power cords.
Anti Dust SwitchDust particles which are created from sanding of wood or any other material are not only bad for your health but also bad for the machine itself. So the manufacturer of sanders has come with a new and innovative design to save the machine from the created dust. Most of the sanders in the list inherit the sealed switch or anti-dust switch. That is the switches are made with protection so that dust doesn't enter and spoil the switch before its lifespan. It increases the overall tool life of the sander.
VibrationThis is a must feature to check whether it is absent or not. Because with it's present you won't be able to work properly. It spoils the presence of the balance that you need while using a sander. Vibrations not only makes it hard to work precisely but also makes the user tired faster. If you buy a one with least vibration then you will be able to handle for a longer period of time and you will have enough precision. Sanders might cost a bit more but will be of great use.
LockThe lock in the trigger switch is a very important feature but we often forget to pay attention to this one. One of the greatest and painful problems with Sanders are that keep pressing that trigger button for the whole time we are working. Not only it causes the users fatigue but also distracts users attention, and if the day is bad it might turn into unbalanced measurements on the wood. You should definitely buy a one with lock trigger switch. It will let your hands be free at least from pressing the switch so that you can give proper attention to the work and design.
TransportableNow, this feature is particularly for the ones who use it professionally and have to travel to many places for works. Being able to transport the whole tool with ease is very important for the users who need to travel and want to have their own sanders with them because it surely is comfortable to use the tool for works which they use regularly. Having a carrying case and comfortable handle will turn out to be very useful.
Pad BrakesThis one common feature you will find in almost every sander. Don't buy one which doesn't offer this feature. Because without pad brakes it increases the risk of gouging.
WarrantyEach and every electronic device need some sort of guarantee. No matter how well the manufacturing or the brand is, it is always important to look for warranty or guarantees. In the case of sanders, you will get the best of warranties on the market. It will benefit you in many ways. You can check if it Ergonomic works well for your purpose or not if not then you can have your money back in many cases.
ConclusionIt is very difficult to buy something which has so many varieties on the market and with so many features. The sander manufacturers have developed their tools a lot to make it user-friendly. The above-mentioned features, tips, and guides are to help you through selecting the best one for you. It will help you to choose one which will help you with efficiency and last a long tool life.
Featured Image Legacy