Carrying heavy luggage can drain you and consume much of your time. Worse still; you may develop severe back pains in the long run which may cost you an arm and a leg to seek medical attention. To avoid all these complications, you will require a quality hand truck. These devices offer great benefits and are professionally designed to facilitate smooth movement of heavy luggage easily without positioning your body in an unhealthy angle, reducing your fatigue levels, muscle strains and increased your productivity. While owning one offers great benefits, choosing the best folding hand truck can be at times confusing with the ever-increasing brands in the industry. We understand how a poor quality dolly can be backbreaking and costly. That’s why we have taken time to choose high-quality brands that have been professionally designed to help you manage even the most demanding heavy loads efficiently. Keep reading to identify one for your needs.
Best PickAfter comparing all the other models, this Cosco Shifter Heavy Duty Folding Hand Truck has managed to stand out. The dolly is made from heavy-duty steel for increased strength and durability. Its multi-position design allows you to convert it from the two-wheeled cart into a four-wheel truck without calling for pins or tools to suit your luggage size.
Budget PickMagna Cart Personal Folding Hand Truck is the go-to dolly when you are on a budget. The truck features a sturdy aluminum frame for maximum strength and 5-inch rubber wheels for smooth transportation of items not exceeding 150lbs. The fact that the truck comes already assembled makes it easy for you to get started right away.
Quick Comparison Between The Best Folding Hand Trucks[table id=150 /]
1. Cosco Shifter Heavy Duty Folding Hand Truck
- Made from a durable steel frame for exceptional strength and durability
- Holds up to 300lbs
- Multi-position for more versatility
- Easy to store
- Fits in most car trucks
2. Magna Cart Personal Folding Hand Truck
- Holds up to 150lbs
- Built with a quality aluminum base with ball bearing rubber wheels
- Folds 2.5” flat for easy storage or transportation
- Ergonomically designed extendable telescopic handle
3. Magna Cart 150 lb Steel Folding Hand Truck
- Rugged design for increased strength and durability
- Holds up to 150lbs
- Handle extends 39” to suit different heights
- Retractable wheels for easy storage
- 199mm steel frame
- Weighs 9lbs
4. Rock-N-Roller R6RT Folding Multi-Cart
- Holds up to 500lbs
- Transforms into eight different shapes easily
- Weighs 22lbs
- Rugged steel construction for maximum support
- Foldable design for easy storage
- Built to last
- 4 by 1-inch front wheels with brakes and eight by 2-inch R-Trac wheels
- Axle size19mm
- 16-inch tubing gauge with 75” main frame tubing
5. Cosco 3-in-1 Aluminum Hand Truck
- Strong and durable
- Assisted and two-wheel truck holds up to 800lbs
- Four-wheel hand truck holds up to 1000lbs
- Changes into eight different shapes
- Easy to maneuver
- Ergonomically designed to reduce fatigue, muscle strain, and injury
6. Harper Trucks 700 lb Convertible Hand Truck
- 10-inch industrial pneumatic wheels
- Glass-filled Nylon plastic frame
- Easy to maneuver
- Telescopic handle with three positions and inbuilt stir glides
- 5 –inch heavy-duty swivel casters
- Two-wheel cart holds up to 600lbs while 4-wheel holds 700lbs
7. Vergo S300BT Industrial Folding Hand Truck Dolly
- Does not require any assembly
- Rugged design
- Folds for easy storage
- Holds items up to 275lbs
- Telescopic handle extends 4,25” for easy control over the dolly
- Foldable nose plate
- 7” stable rubber wheels
- Weighs 10lbs
8. Wesco 220649 Steel Maxi Mover Folding Truck
- Stable wheels and rugged steel frame which can hold up to 275lbs
- Lightweight but strong
- Has elastic straps for keeping your load in place
- 7-inch no marking wheels for easy maneuverability
- Ergonomically designed handle
- Stable rubber wheels
9. Milwaukee Hand Trucks 49180 Convertible Truck
- Built to last
- Weighs 36 pounds
- Smooth lifting and transportation
- Stable and strong gusset wheels
- Hold up to 800lbs
- Flow back handle for easy truck operation
- 5” large casters
- Converts from two-wheel vertical dolly into a four-wheel horizontal truck
10. Magliner GMK81UA4 Convertible Hand Truck
- Holds large capacity of up to 500lbs
- Minimizes user fatigue
- 10” pneumatic wheels for a stable and smooth movement
- Converts from 2 to 4 wheel truck
- Ergonomically designed to increase your productivity and greater load balance
- Lightweight but strong
Factors to Consider When Buying a Hand TruckLifting heavy items is strenuous and can be back-breaking especially if you do not have the right dolly. Choosing a poor quality truck can make transportation of your items challenging. To make the process easy and fun, here are some of the critical factors to consider when choosing a hand truck.
Load capacityEvery truck has its maximum load capacity it can hold. Before even pulling out your card, you need to factor in the load capacity to determine the one that suits your needs. This will be determined by the type of items you wish to transport. In case you are looking for a cart to move items on your home or office, you may consider going for trucks which can hold a minimum of 150lbs and above. Anything below this will force you to make repeated trips especially when large capacity loads need to be moved. Stronger trucks which can hold 500lbs to 1000lbs or above are a great pick for most demanding jobs which require higher load capacity. Loading your truck with over-weight items than the recommended load capacity can damage your dolly or ruin your items. Worse still; you may also risky causing accidents which may expose you and the people around you at risk.
Truck designHand trucks are of three different types, that is the convertible, upright and specialty. Upright trucks are two-wheeled and are ideal for moving items less than 500lbs. However, some models can hold more than this. Convertible hand trucks feature four wheels which give them greater strength to hold more weight as compared to the two-wheeled models. They can quickly transform into a two-wheel model from a four-wheel truck for lighter load capacity and greater control and easy maneuverability.
Truck sizeHand trucks come in different sizes to suit different user needs. However, there is no specific truck size. This size you settle for should be based on the job and what you plan to transport.
MaterialMost of the commonly used materials are fiberglass or Nylon, aluminum, and steel. By nature, Nylon material is lightweight as compared to aluminum and steel. This makes the carts easy to move around. The material is affordable and recommended for moving light items. In case you are on a budget, you may consider models designed using Fiberglass or Nylon and ensure it is hard, chemical resistant and corrosion free for increased durability. Aluminum hand trucks are lightweight as compared to steel and provide great power for maximum support of your items. In regards to price, aluminum is slightly higher as compared to the fiber-glass Nylon material but stronger. To make aluminum material stronger, some manufacturers bond it with other metals. On the other hand, steel hand trucks are mightier than the other two materials. Though they are slightly heavy, they are ideal for moving heavy luggage. For increased strength, some models are double welded and are suitable for industrial use or in most demanding projects.
Handle designMoving hand trucks can be strenuous especially if the handles are not ergonomically designed. One of the great features to make sure you minimize your fatigue levels is to check out whether the model you are planning to buy has an extendable handle. This feature allows you to pull the handle to an extended length which makes the load lighter minimizing your fatigue and strain levels altogether. Another notable feature to look for in your dolly is the type of handle. Consider going for brands which have a telescopic handle for easy adjustability for users with different heights.
Type of terrainNot every dolly wheels will enable you to maneuver easily on every ground. For greater maneuverability ensure that you go for a model which can move smoothly on the recommended terrain you may be planning to use. Most manufacturers include the type of terrain their truck can be used. For greater versatility, consider choosing models which can be used on most grounds.
Available spaceThough most modern hand trucks feature a foldable design for easy storage, you will still need enough space to store it. To prevent the truck from overwhelming all the available space, you need to measure the available storage space to determine the right size for you.
CostThough spending more than you have planned for may lead to financial runaway, you should ensure the model you go for is durable and robust enough to withstand the test of time. If you cannot afford a high-end hand truck, you can settle for an affordable one but ensure proper care, and load limits have always been kept in check.
Final VerdictHand trucks have proved to be one of the must-have tools when lifting and moving heavy loads. So for you to choose the best folding hand truck, you need to highlight your needs. the best brand for you. Never suffer from excessive fatigue or risk developing chronic muscle and back pain by falling for cheap deals. Take advantage of our high-quality dollies and make your heavy luggage transportation a breeze.
Featured Image Legacy