About 60% of all men who shave experience some kind of skin irritation after doing so. This often includes burning, redness, and stinging, not to mention the occasional nick that draws blood. While the solution to this shaving irritation can be as varied as the men themselves, using the best pre shave oil has been known to help minimize your chances of getting irritated skin. Here's how it works: One of the main reasons you get irritated skin after shaving is because the razor you use is grazing the swollen hair follicles that hold your facial hair. In some cases, the surface of your skin is so rough that the razor doesn't glide over it as smoothly as it ideally should. One way to remedy this is to use a good quality razor with excellent shave cream. In most instances, however, this isn't enough. In this case, one of the best options is to use an additional...lubricant, if you will. That's where the best pre-shave oil comes into play. This is the oil you apply to your skin before you apply the shave cream. The oil acts as an extra layer of protection, which helps keep your skin smooth and glide the razor over it, minimizing the irritation.
The Best Pre Shave Oil for MenMuch like everything else in the market, there are many excellent pre shave oil options out there. The trick is in finding the best one for your specific needs and skin type. Here are some excellent options that you can try out:
1. Best Overall - Editors PickThis Sandalwood Premium Shaving Oil is our top pick for a few very good reasons. For starters, it's made out of a special, all-natural formula that's designed to give you extra comfort when shaving. The formula that includes seven natural oils is specifically geared towards helping men with sensitive skin prone to razor burn and often get ingrown hairs. This pre shave oil softens your beard while conditioning your skin to give you an amazing degree of slickness for your razor to glide right over. It's excellent for wet shaving and takes only 30 seconds to work.
- It's a 1 oz. (30 ml) bottle
- Contains 7 natural oils
- Smooth and gentle to your skin
- Takes 30 seconds to soften your beard
- Doesn't work well with an electric shaver
2. Best Unscented OptionThe Art of Shaving Unscented Pre-Shave Oil is a wonderful option for men who prefer unscented shaving oils. Designed to work for all skin types and levels of sensitivity, this pre shave oil is formulated with high-quality botanical ingredients, extracts from an assortment of natural origins, and pure essential oils. It doesn't contain any alcohol nor synthetic dyes, which often lead to skin irritations.
- 2 oz. bottle
- Contains nothing but natural essential oils and ingredients
- Doesn't contain alcohol nor synthetic dyes
- Doesn't come with a dropper, which makes it easy to spill much more than you intend
3. Best Option for Straight RazorThis Lemongrass & Eucalyptus Pre Shave Oil for Men works perfectly with both a straight razor as well as a safety razor. Formulated with oils such as jojoba, avocado oil, and grapeseed oil, this pre shave oil is naturally designed to love, moisturize, and care for your skin. It features a special formula that gives the oil excellent consistency and a wonderful texture. It's not too thin nor too thick, which means that you get enough gliding properties without clogging up your razor. It works well for men of all ages with all skin types from extremely sensitive to rigid skins prone to razor burns, ingrown hairs, red bumps, and cuts.
- Has a nice citrusy aroma bottle
- It comes in an 8 oz.
- Money-back guarantee
- 100% natural and organic
- Bottle has a convenient dropper
- Helps to protect you from irritations and razor burns
- The scent is a bit too strong for some men
4. Best Moisturizing OptionThe Tree Hut Bare Moisturizing Shave Oil is designed to provide your skin with a deep moisturizing feel which naturally softens and smoothens any dry or cracked patches of your skin. Blended from natural oils, it's infused with amazing skin conditioners and is free of parabens or any other harmful chemicals that may cause skin irritation.
- Made out of 100% natural shea butter
- Contains moisturizers
- Doesn't have harmful chemicals
- 7.7 oz. bottle with convenient dropper
- Nice scent
- Some customers are allergic to it
5. Best Option for All Razor TypesSome men prefer straight razors, while others like using safety razors as well as cartridge razors. Unfortunately, some pre shave oils don't work very well with some types of razors. This Taconic Shave Premium All Natural Pre-Shave Oil is formulated to work well with multiple types of razors, from straight razors to double edge safety razors, cartridge razors, and so on. This pre shave oil contains nothing but the finest organic oils made out of organic ingredients and is enriched with Vitamin E. It provides you with a smooth and thick layer that helps to protect your skin when shaving.
- 2 oz. bottle
- 100% natural and organic ingredients
- Consistent oil for smooth shave
- Light citrus scent
- Contains healing oils such as grape seed oil, castor oil, and organic safflower
- Some people don't like the citrus scent
- Has a consistent quality and thickness to it. This will help ensure that every inch of your skin is protected as you shave.
- Doesn't have too strong a scent (some people don't like that).
- Comes in a bottle that has a convenient dropper because without that, you can very easily pour out too much oil when shaving.
- Works well with the kind of razor you prefer.
Featured Image Legacy