Best PickAt the top of our list is an underwater fishing light from Lightingsky, which is an excellent combination of durability and functionality as it comes in a portable and submersible design, and with LED lights that are super bright yet have a low battery consumption. On top of that, you can choose the color that will best suit the creatures that you are trying to catch.
Budget PickEasy to install, simple to use, flexible, and durable this light strip from SUPERNIGHT is a great fishing light that offers you many great features and a high quality at an affordable price. If you are looking for an underwater fishing light within your budget range, you would definitely want to look at this light which has earned the budget pick position on our list.
Quick Comparison Between The Best Underwater Fishing LightsUnderwater fishing lights can vary greatly from one product to another, and that is why it might not be such a great idea to choose your favorite one from our best and budget pick without looking at some of the other great fishing lights that the market is offering today. That is why we suggest you go through the next section of our article where we will introduce you to several other fishing lights and give you an in-depth idea of each of their strengths and weaknesses. [table id=138 /]
1. Lightingsky Submersible Fishing LightThis underwater fishing light from Lightingsky is a tool that can completely change your boat fishing experience, so much so that many users have even described it as ‘cheating’ because of how easy it was to attract the fishes using this light. Although this tool performs exceptionally well, the size of the tool is surprisingly small, with the light housing being only around 6.5 inches long. The fact that this light is so compact makes it a tool that is highly portable and easy to maneuver, which is a great feature to have for a fishing equipment. The body of the light has 180 SMD LED lights that give off a very bright light on all 5 sides, meaning it will light the surroundings to 360 degrees. The brightness of the light is 900 lumens and so it will effectively illuminate the surroundings and be visible to the fishes even in dark waters at night. Since it is so bright, you might be worried that it will draw out too much energy from your boat's battery and drain it very fast, but the truth is the exact opposite. It has a very low battery consumption and it can run 8 times longer than a halogen lamp due to its high energy efficiency. Another great advantage of this light is that since it is made of LED lights, it would not heat up the water body surrounding it and will not disturb the aquatic temperature where you are fishing. Another feature of this light that makes it a light that you will have a great control over, is its cable length, which is 5 meters long. With this length, you can reach deep into the waters where you want to catch the types of fish you are going after. With all of this being said, one thing you would have to decide if the color of light that you would want for the type of aquatic creature that you want to catch. This light is available in three different colors – white, green, and blue. The white light is best as a general purpose fishing light, which can be used in various kinds of waters. The blue light would be your best choice if you want to fish in salt waters, and you are planning to catch bait materials such as phytoplankton and krill. The green light would be the best choice for freshwater fishing and is highly effective for catching fishes such as bass, and also squid, as squids give off green lights themselves and are attracted to the light of this color.
- It is compact and highly portable so you can easily carry it with you on your fishing trips
- The light is submersible and has a cord length of 5 meters which means you can reach deep into the water with this light to attract fishes
- The light is available in three different colors so you can choose which color is the most suitable one for the type of fishing you want to
- It is very bright and illuminates all directions so it is very effective in attracting fishes
- The light has a very low battery consumption and has a continuous working time of 50,000 hours and can run 8 times longer than halogen lamps
- Since it uses LED lights it would not heat up
- You have to find out which color of light works best for the type of fish you want to catch
- It is not a permanently installed unit so if you are looking for a light that you can install on the body of your boat, this might not be the best option for you
2. SUPERNIGHT 600 LEDS Light StripThis fishing light not only performs well but is also one of the most versatile lights that are out there for you to buy. This light comes in the form of a 16.4 ft. light strip that can be cut and installed on any surface you want to. Hence its use is not limited to only boats and fishing equipment, but it could be used to decorate your kayak, car, bedroom, and so on. However, since today we are focusing on fishing lights, we are going to tell you mainly of the wonders this light can do for you on your next fishing trip. Imagine you have a boat that you take out on your nighttime fishing trips. Now, you would want to be able to see the surroundings of your boat so that you know where you are going. But if you use a regular all-purpose light, it might scare fishes away, or be too intense for your eyes, heat up the surroundings and make you all sweaty, or in the worst case scenario attract thousands of bugs to your boat. However, this light has a green color which acts as a light that attracts game fish, baitfish, and other aquatic life such as shrimps and squids around your boat so that when you drop your lure the chances will be high that there will be fish that will bite on it. Since the light strip has a high density of LED lights on it, the surroundings of your boat will be visible to your eyes and you can find your tools and equipment with ease without having to fumble in the dark. As the light given off by LED lights is a cool one, it would not cause your surroundings to heat up, giving you a cool and comfortable environment to work in. The light also has a waterproof level of IP65 which means it is water-resistant and is suitable for being used on a boat’s body which can frequently come in contact with water. Another important feature of this light is that it has a low battery consumption so it will not drain your battery even if you keep the lights on for a long time. Other than the great features of this light that we have discussed, the light is very easy to install. The strip is flexible, and can be curved and bent so you can paste it to any surface or edge you want on your boat. In addition to that, the strip’s back surface has a self-adhesive material so you can attach it to your boat without having to apply any extra adhesive material. Reliable, durable, and user-friendly, this light is a great choice for anyone who is looking for a fishing light that can be installed on their fishing boat.
- The light comes in the form of a strip which can be cut and pasted according to your needs which makes it a highly versatile light
- The light strip has a self-adhesive surface and a highly flexible body so it is very easy to install
- It has a waterproof level of IP65 and can be safely used on a boat’s body surface without being damaged by frequent contact with water
- The lights have an SMD of 3528, and so it is bright enough to attract fishes and give you visibility at night
- The color of the light is green which is a great color of attracting fishes
- The light has a high energy efficiency so it will consume less energy from your battery
- As the light source is LED lights, it does not heat up the surroundings
- The surface where you want to install the light strip has to be cleaned so that it can attach to the surface properly
- It cannot be submerged in the water without an extra waterproofing protection
3. Amarine-made Submersible Deep Drop Underwater LightIf you are looking for a fishing light that is durable, easy to carry, and energy-efficient, then this light from Amarine-made would be a great choice for you. This light measures only 9 inches and so is highly portable. Although it is small, its performance and durability should not be underestimated. The body houses 180 SMD super bright LED lights and provides a light intensity of 900 lumens. As the lights are built into all 5 sides, the light can illuminate the surroundings effectively and provide visibility in 360 degrees. The light is waterproof and can stay submerged in the water without being damaged. After using it for a long time, you can also choose to replace the inner globe if you want to without having to buy a whole new unit. To make it an extra user-friendly unit, the crocodile clips with which you can attach the light to the battery has been provided in the set. This light also has some features which make it particularly well-suited for being used in deep water fishing. First of all, the light has been weighted with a built-in lead weight so it will stay submerged in the water without floating up unless you pull it out. Secondly, it has a long cord length, which is 15 feet, so it can reach deep waters. It also has a very low battery consumption so it can run 8 times longer compared to a halogen lamp, making it an energy-efficient fishing light. The best part of this type of portable fishing light is that it is useful and has practical application in different fishing settings. For example, you can use this light for large fishing boats, on large or small fishing nets such as cage nets, silver nets, cover net, fishing in ponds or lakes, and for many other versatile purposes.
- The light housing has a small size of 9 inches which makes it a lightweight and highly portable fishing light
- The body has LED lights attached to it on 5 sides which illuminates 360 degrees around the light
- It comes in three different colors – white, blue, and green so you can choose the color that best suits your purpose
- The inner globe is replaceable so you can keep on using the same unit without having to buy a new one frequently
- It has a very low battery consumption so it can run 8 times longer compared to a halogen lamp
- It comes with crocodile clips and built-in lead weight for your convenience
- The cord length is 15 feet so it can reach into deep waters
- It does not come with a protective storage casing
- You have to choose the right color of light that suits your purpose
4. The Green Lantern SUBMERSIBLE NIGHT FISHING LIGHTWhen we hear the name Green Lantern, the first thing that comes to mind for many of us might be the superhero from DC comics. Although this green lantern is a little different from the fictional character, this Green Lantern fishing light is a superhero when it comes to fishing in certain conditions. This light that gives off a bright green light of 2000 lumen can help you to attract fish effectively when you are fishing in docks, piers, ice or boat. It can be particularly useful for attracting catches such as shad fish, crappie fish which is considered to be one of the best tasting freshwater fish, and squids. The unit is made in the USA and comes with a warranty of 60 days which shows the high quality of this product and its sturdy construction. It comes with a built-in weight to keep it submerged underwater and has a 15 feet long cable which allows the light to go deep into the water. As the light is waterproof and built in an upgraded design to improve its durability, you can expect the light to last for a long time.
- It is made in the USA and offers a 60 days warranty which makes it a product that you can trust and buy confidently
- The light is very bright and has a 2000 lumens brightness
- It is very well built and its design has been upgraded to make it more durable
- The bright green light of this fishing light makes it an excellent tool for fishing shad fish, crappie fish, squids, and many other freshwater fishes
- The 15 feet long cable of this light makes it a light that can reach deep into the waters
- It does not have color options so if you are looking for a fishing light of a different color then it might not be the best options for you
5. Amarine-made 12v-24v Submersible Deep Drop Underwater LightThis light from Amarie-made is highly similar to the one that we have discussed before from the same brand. It has all the features of previous Amarine-made fishing light models that people have so loved and found to be useful, such as low battery consumption, portability, effective brightness, and a sturdy build. However, this model takes those features to the next level and improves them so that the users can have an even better experience from using them when they are fishing. The first upgraded feature that we want to look into is the power plug that comes in the set which was not included in the previous sets. This plug provides a higher level of safety and ease of set up when you are connecting the light to the battery. One end of this plug is connected to the alligator clips that are also provided in the set, and the other end is connected to the light housing. The next feature which has been improved on this model is LED light’s arrangement. Whereas the LED lights were on 5 sides of the housing in the older versions, this one has LED lights on 6 sides which means all the angles from this light will be well-illuminated. This increases the brightness of the light to 1000 lumens compared to the previous 900 lumens brightness. The cable of the light has a length of 6 meters which allows the light to go far into the water and help to illuminate deep waters and attract fishes in those regions. As the light has a lead weight built into it, it will stay below the water and not float upon the surface. As the light housing measures only 7 inches, it is highly portable and easy to manage.
- A power plug is included in the set which increases the safety and ease of set up of the light
- The housing of the main body has LED lights on 6 sides instead of 5, which increases the coverage surrounding the light
- The light has a brightness of 1000 lumens which is higher compared to other fishing light models
- The cable length of this light is 6 meters and so it can go into deep waters and attract fishes that are hiding at the bottom
- The inner globe of the light is replaceable
- The light has a green color and so it is a great choice for fishing in freshwater areas
- Although the small size of the light means that is highly portable, it might not be large enough for people who want a large area of the water to be illuminated
6. Firewatermarine GREEN UNDERWATER SUBMERSIBLE NIGHT FISHING LIGHTMost of the underwater fishing lights that we have introduced to you up to this point had small sizes and portability was one of their strong features. However, in many types of fishing purposes, you might want a light that is bigger and illuminates a larger area of water so that you can attract fishes and baits that are not close to the light. If you are looking for a fishing light that is comparatively larger, brighter and is yet very much portable, then this light from Firewatermarine might be a great choice for you. Whereas the other models on this list had light housing sizes that were less than 10 inches, this light measures an astounding 25 inches and so you can imagine how much depth this light will cover and how effectively it will attract fishes in waters that are dark and deep. In addition to this advantageous size, the light has a brightness of 10,000 lumens which is a lot higher compared to the others which usually have a brightness of around 1000 lumens or less. To keep up with the bigger size of the light, its design has also been improved to give it a higher durability. The housing uses salt water protective sealant, and marine cable, so it can be safely used both in freshwater and saltwater. The long light housing is also connected to a cable that is 15 feet long which increases the overall depth into which the light can be lowered and submerged to attract fishes that stay in deep waters.
- The housing of the light has a longer size compared to other models which makes it a light that is better at illuminating a bigger range of depth under the water
- It has a protective sealant which protects it in harsh aquatic conditions which makes it a durable light that you can use both in fresh and salt waters
- The brightness of the light which is 10,000 lumens is a lot higher compared to the brightness of other lights
- Although it is larger than the others, it is still portable and has a reasonable weight that can be carried around
- Since it is 25 inches long, it cannot be carried in small bags or in pockets
- It might be difficult to maneuver when it is submerged due to its length
- It is available in green color only which might be a problem if you are looking for a different color
7. Glow Lion Green LED Underwater Night Fishing LightThis underwater fishing light from Glow lion has a unique advantage for fishermen who want to reach deep into the waters. Whereas most fishing lights are powered by an external battery this light is powered by coin cell batteries that can stay within the light housing, which means there is no need to connect it to an external power supply. This allows the light to reach as far as possible into the water, without being restricted by the length of the power cord. You would be amazed to know that this light will stay functional up to 2100 feet under the water! This exceptional feature makes this light extremely well-suited for fishing in deep waters. The light has a green color and gives off a bright green light to attract smaller bait fish which in turn works as a bait to lure in the bigger fishes. If you want higher brightness, you can use two of these lights in combination, which can be done very easily.
- This light has a built-in compartment for coin cell batteries so it does not have to be connected to an external battery
- It has the capability to work at a depth of 2100 feet under the water which makes it highly adapted for deep sea fishing
- It gives off a bright green light to attract bait and game fishes around it
- It has a part at its bottom end where lure can be hooked
- It has a compact size and its highly portable
- The coin cell battery would have to be replaced when it runs out of power
8. TH Marine LED-51868-DP Underwater LightUnderwater fishing lights that stay submerged and has to be controlled using a cord can be fun and exciting, but what if you have your hands and mind full of other things that you need to focus on? In a situation like this, wouldn't it be more convenient to have the fishing lights permanently attached to your boat so that you can focus your hands and attention on other things? If the answer is yes for you, then you would be swept away by this fishing light that can be easily installed on different parts of your boat whether it is above or below the water surface. This light has 6 LEDs of high brightness in a casing which can be mounted on a surface or wired to holes in the casing. As it comes in a very compact size and design, you can install this easily on various parts of your boat such as the stern, Trim-tabs, Swim steps, and transoms, and also combine more than one of these units on your boat to get the desired effect. The hardware that you would need for installing the unit has been provided in the set so you can get it mounted and ready to light up your boat and the water right away. As this light is waterproof, you can attach this light to parts of your boat which stays submerged or frequently comes into contact with water. Not only does this light illuminate the water and attract fish towards you, but it also creates a nice ambiance on your boat to make your whole fishing or boating experience more rewarding and exciting. Another feature of this light that we especially love is that the optics of the light has been engineered in such a way as to create a flood light effect. What this means is that it has a wider aperture and will light up a larger surface area and greater depth of water when it is switched on. This helps the light to reach further into the water and increase the chance of fishes being attracted towards your boat.
- It can be attached or installed onto different parts of your boat so your hands can stay free to do other work
- Since the light is waterproof, it can be installed on parts of the boat that stays submerged in water or comes into contact with water frequently
- The optics of the light has been engineered in a way which gives the light a wider aperture and gives a floodlight effect which helps to attract fishes that are far away
- This light not only helps in fishing but also creates a nice green ambiance on your boat and its surroundings
- The light can be installed very easily and the hardware has been included in the set
- It has a compact design which is great if you want to combine a few of these lights to create the overall set up on your boat
- It has to be installed on a surface or be mounted to work
- It has six lights so if you want to cover a large surface on your boat then you might need more than one
9. Goture Submersible Fishing LightThe feature that sets this fishing light apart from the others is its durability. Water and the longevity of an electrical appliance are like arch enemies of each other and hence you would want your fishing light to be as waterproof and well-protected as possible so that it can serve you for a long time. This light has been made to be effectively waterproof, impact resistant and corrosion resistant, and all of these features make this light a sturdy light that you can rely on. The end caps of the light housing is made of watertight rubber and protecting sleeves are also made of the high-quality rubber which seals the electrical components of the light effectively and prevents them from touching the water even when the light is submerged. The internal light tube can be replaced so you can keep on using the same unit for a long period of time. The light has LED lights on all 5 sides which illuminates 360 degrees around the light unit. Apart from that, the cable cord that is included in the set has a length of 7.5 meters so you can reach deep into the water to find deep water fishes. The battery clips have been provided in the set so you can easily get the light working after you receive the product. This light is available in three different colors – white, blue, and green. The white light is useful for general purpose fishing, the blue light is well-suited for catching krill and phytoplankton, and the green light is for catching squid and freshwater fishes.
- The electrical components of this might have been effectively protected by durable rubber caps which makes this light a highly durable light
- It is impact resistant and also corrosion resistant which is both highly sought-after features in a fishing light
- It can reach up to 7.5 meters of depth in the water due to its long cable cord
- The battery clips have been included in the set so you can connect it to a battery start using it right after you receive it
- It has LED lights on 5 sides so the light can illuminate 360 degrees around the unit
- The internal light tube is replaceable so there is no need to buy a new one when the light becomes worn out
- You have to choose the right color of light to fit your purpose
10. Quarrow Submersible Waterproof Fishing Light AttractantQuarrow is a fishing gear brand from a renowned multinational company and a company that makes products of a very high standard specializing in fishing gear, you can only expect the best and nothing less. This fishing light from this company is an amazing tool that can help you to set up a food chain which will increase the presence of game fishes near you so that you can catch fishes more efficiently and successfully. As you have already come to know, green light is a great choice of color for fishing in freshwaters and this submersible light gives off a green light that has a brightness of 1250 lumens. There are 180 green LED lights on this unit which will effectively shine a green light in the water in which you are fishing. The light can be powered by attaching this unit to your boat’s battery using the two 12V DC battery clips that are provided in the set. The lights within the housing are protected by rubber caps which prevents any water or moisture from in contact with the electrical components, making this a highly durable fishing light. Apart from being waterproof, this light is impact-resistant, which is a very important feature, as the light might hit rocks and hard surfaces when it is dropped into the water. The light also has a 15A protection fuse which will prevent the light from overheating. The light is attached to a cable that is 15 feet long so that it can travel far into the water without damaging the cord. Compared to other similar fishing lights, it has a very high quality and comes in an authentic packaging, which makes it a great gift that you can present to any of your friends or family members who love fishing.
- It is made by a company that makes other specialized fishing gear equipment so the quality of the fishing light is of a high standard
- The light housing is protected by rubber caps which seals it so that water does not enter into the unit
- It is waterproof and impacts resistant which makes this light a highly durable one
- It has a 15A protection fuse which protects the electrical components from being damaged by overheating
- The battery clips are included in the set so it can be set up very easily
- It is nicely packaged so it can be given as a gift to anyone who loves fishing
- It is available only in green color
Answers to common questions about underwater fishing lights
How does an underwater fishing light attract fish?Whether we are into fishing or not, we are all familiar with the fact that light attracts creatures around it, the most common example could be bugs being attracted to lights. In a similar way, fishes exhibit a behavior called phototaxis, which is a scientific term for the movement of creatures based on a light stimulus. To understand this behavior, many research has been done, for example, this research that studies the neurobiology behind the positive phototaxis of zebrafish larvae. In the past when there has been no or less research into this, fishermen have observed that fishes were attracted to light and they used to hang a lantern on their boats to fish at night, believing that it would increase their chances of finding fish. In modern times, now we know that what the light actually does is that it lures and attracts the food of the fish themselves near the light. Just as the fishermen are looking for areas in the water that have a higher density of fish, the big game fishes are looking for waters where they would be able to find more food, meaning waters that are rich in smaller fishes, shrimps, and zooplankton. What this means is that when you use a light under the water, you are actually attracting these lower members of the aquatic food chain near the light, which acts as a bait for attracting the bigger fishes to those areas.
Which light color is most effective for fishing?Researches have shown that members of aquatic food chains have a visual perception of the colors blue and green. That is why blue and green lights are the most popular ones among the fishing lights. That being said, they are not the only ones that can attract fishes and other relevant creatures. For example, white light is used as a general purpose fishing light since a part of the white light falls under the spectrum of blue and green lights. That is why what color light you will want to use depends on your preference and what works best for you. In general, blue color lights are preferred in saltwater fishing, whereas green light is preferred in freshwater fishing.
Permanent or portable?When it comes to underwater fishing lights, there can be mainly two types. The one that you keep submerged in water using a cable cord, and another one that is installed onto different parts of your boat whether it is above or below the water surface. If you are looking for a light that is portable, one that you will be able to pull at and control its movement, then it is best to go for the first type. If you want to create and ambiance on your boat, or keep the light attached to parts of the boat as the stern, so that it will illuminate the water surface as well as inside the water, then it is best to go for the type that you can keep mounted onto the boat. If you want to, then you can also use a combination of both to maximize your advantages.
What are the important features that you should look for when buying a fishing light?To find the underwater fishing light that will fit your requirements, it is important to check for these features.
BrightnessThe brightness of the light determines how effectively it attracts the fishes, and this brightness will be usually given in lumens. Although the light should be bright enough to be visible to fishes, if you are going for the light that will stay on your boat, it should not be so bright that it becomes an eyesore.
DurabilityTo be durable, a fishing light should be waterproof and also impact resistant. As it will have to stay submerged in water most of the times it is being used or come into frequent contact with salt or freshwater, it should have a protective sealing that prevents water from touching the electrical components.
DesignThe design of the light is important because it has a large contribution to the light's performance, user-friendliness, and durability. For example, the length of the cable cord through which the light is connected to the battery will determine how deep it can go into the water. Also, the battery clips should be included in the set so that you can easily connect the light to an external battery. If you want to eliminate this restriction of depth completely, then you can go for a light that is powered by internal coin cell batteries so it does not need to be connected to your boat's battery.
Power-consumptionAs fishing trips can be long, these fishing lights should also have a continuous working hour period that is long. To support this long working hour, the light should have a very low battery consumption or else your boat’s battery will be drained very fast.
The color of the lightAs we have discussed before, the color of the light is important in determining which type of aquatic creature you are trying to catch, and also where you want to fish. This is why it is crucial to know the type of color the light is going to give before you buy any underwater fishing light.
ConclusionAlthough we can harness the knowledge that we have to our advantage and use them to increase our efficiency in fishing, we have a responsibility to act in an environment-friendly way. A research on how the use of underwater fishing lights can affect aquatic ecosystem shows that if we do not use these lights responsibly, we can cause detrimental effects to the aquatic life.
Once you are well-informed and knowledgeable about how to use these lights properly and effectively without causing any harm to the environment, you can confidently choose the best underwater fishing light that fits your requirements perfectly and start using them regularly on your fishing trips. This will not only increase the chances of you catching game fishes of your choice, but will make the whole fishing experience more exciting, rewarding, and fun!