Time is so critical to waste it while trying to open and close your gate every day. Thanks to the smart technology which has transitioned the industry by manufacturing automatic gate openers. By just a press of a button, you can comfortably and conveniently open and close your gate. With different brands flooding the market, buying an automatic gate opener has never been easy like before. We have carefully selected and reviewed some of the best automatic gate openers from trusted manufacturers to improve your shopping experience. Just take a look!!
Our Best Pick
USAutomatic 020320 Sentry 300 Commercial Grade Automatic Gate Opener can open any gate regardless of its weight and can operate for weeks without solar making it Our Best Pick.
Our Budget Pick
Mighty Mule EZGO-SOLAR Gate Opener Solar Kit is affordable and has a large battery design which delivers ten times more power and reserve capacity.
Quick Comparison: Top 8 Best Automatic Gate Openers[table id=66 /]
1. USAutomatic 020320 Sentry 300 Commercial Grade Automatic Gate OpenerAre you looking for a superior quality commercial gate opener? Then this opener from USAutomatic may be an ideal choice for your security needs. The opener is typically designed to be installed to 12 feet ornamental iron gates, 20 feet farm gates and 14 feet chain link gates. With linear actuator thrust of 400 pounds and compression rating of 1000 pounds, USAutomatic opener can open and close your gate within 16 seconds regardless of its weight. The 34 pounds opener is powered by a 12 volt DC battery which can either be charged using included optional solar panel kit or AC transformer. The manufacturer highly advocates the use of solar charging option which allows remote installation and qualification to a 30% Federal Tax credit. Another welcoming feature about this opener is it's Sentry energy efficient design which enables it to operate for weeks without sun making it one of the first quality solar charged gate openers. USAutomatic opener offers a simple and quick installation through it Sentry Plug N Go wiring harness which does not require any wiring. With a full line of friendly solar accessories, you can easily customize your automated gate system according to your preferences giving you full control. This single gate opener comes either in black or gray color.
2. Mighty Mule EZGO-SOLAR Gate Opener Solar KitThis Mule gate opener is ideal for all types of gates including wood, chain link, panel, ornamental, tube, and vinyl. The single gate opener can open and close up to 16 feet long or 550lbs. EZGO opener is powered by an automotive 12 volts or marine type battery. Its large battery design delivers ten times more power and reserve capacity. That's not all; the opener battery when fully charged has a 1500 back up cycles which helps power your opener during low solar charging conditions or power outage. The 28.2 Pounds opener comes with a step by step installation DVD which makes the process more manageable. We would recommend this opener to anyone who is in need of a superior quality automatic gate opener which does not require power on the gate site.
3. Mighty Mule MM562 Automatic Gate OpenerDo you have a heavy-duty dual swing gate and looking for a quality opener? Then this automatic gate operator from Mighty Mule may be a perfect choice for your needs. The opener is compatible with a gate with a maximum weight of 850lb or 18 feet long per leaf. The opener is battery operated and boasts of an exclusive Mighty Mule dual sense technology that passes all the UL325 6th Edition protocol for extra safety and protection. For easy installation, the opener comes with an interactive DVD and detailed manual which makes the process simple. One thing we love about this opener is its compatibility with all types of dual gates including wood, tube, chain link, vinyl, ornamental and panel gates. Unlike other battery operated openers, the MM562 comes with a 12V, 7amp hour battery (model # Fm150) and all necessary installation hardware. Mighty Mule automatic gate openers are solar compatible, and the MM562 model is not an exception. Aside from being solar compatible, the gate operator comes with either a 5 watt (model # Fm121) or 10 watts (Model # FM123) solar panel from Mighty Mule. In case of low solar conditions, you do not have to worry since using the Mighty Mule 12volts battery or transformer is estimated to deliver up to 185 backup cycles daily. This provides enough power during such conditions giving you peace of mind.
4. Ghost Controls TDS2 Heavy-Duty Dual Automatic Gate Opener KitThe 44.5 pounds Ghost automatic gate opener is powered using 12V batteries. Being one of the ETL certified openers, the TDS2 is a quiet, fast swing gate opener which gives the residential and agricultural sector a reliable and convenient solution. The opener is ideal for swing gates of a maximum length of 20 feet. Optimized for this opener is an optional AXDP solar panel for supplying your opener with power during a power outage or low solar conditions. One outstanding feature that makes this opener standout from other competitor products is that it allows you to do replacements from other models like Linear Pro Access FM700, Pro 2000XLS,Pro 2000XL, Pro 1000, GG, GTO, Aleko AS, and Mighty Mule openers.
5. Mighty Mule MM360 Automatic Gate OpenerThis MM360 model from Mighty Mule is designed for do it yourself property owners. For easy installation, the opener comes along with detailed instructions, DVD installation guide and unlimited access to the 24-hour technical support team. For security and extra protection, the latest MM360 opener boasts of a Mighty Mules exclusive doublesense technology which meets the UL325 6th edition protocols. Mule MM360 opener is ideal for allsingle gates and can operate gates with a maximum weight of 550lbs or maximum length of 16 feet. To power the opener, you will require a marine or an automotive battery which can deliver a minimum of 250 cold cracking amps.
6. ALEKO AC1400 Electric Sliding Gate OpenerThe ALEKO opener is designed using a lightweight corrosion resistant aluminum chassis. AC1400 model comes with a 20ft chain and a heavy duty (120V AC 3/4 HP) motor which can supports gates that are 50 feet long or 1400lbs. The 20-pound opener is easy to install and can support up to 100 remotes. One outstanding feature about this opener is its ability to sense an obstruction. The opener is programmed to stop and reverse each time it encounters obstruction reducing any chances of breaking your gate.
7. Popsport Automatic Sliding Gate OpenerThis automatic electric gate opener boasts a safety feature which automatically stops the gate and reverses it anytime an obstruction is encountered. The Popsport gate operator supports up to 25 remotes with an opening speed of 14m/min. Due to its convenience and exceptional quality, the Popsport gate opener is ideal for commercial andresidential use. The gate operator comes with two wireless remotes and can open gates with a maximum weight of 1400lbs and a maximum length of 40ft. The gate opener features a superior quality motor with a speed of 66 rpm, noise limit of 56dB and 110VAC power supply with a power output of 200W. The SL600AC model has a remote control range of up to 100ft with a frequency of 433.92 MHz. When you buy this gate opener, you will get two manual release keys, 20ft of Chain, Installation Parts, Mounting Hardware and one user manual for easy installation.
8. E8 400MM Package Set Stainless Automatic Gate OpenerThe E8 automatic gate operator has a screw driven system for manual release keys and reliability. The opener is compatible with single swing gates with a maximum weight of 600 pounds or 13ft long. For durability, the E8 gate operator is designed using stainless steel which boasts of 400MM strokes with IR beam package and wired keypad. In case of any power outage, you can still enjoy using your opener since its AC or DC is solar compatible and comes with a battery backup. This makes the opener to standout from other competitor products.
Benefits of using automatic gate openers
- Easy to install
- Allows you to open your gate effortlessly by just a press of a button
- Modern automatic gate openers are integrated with smart features which enables you to have control of who gets access to your property
- Most automatic gate openers can be customized to suit your preferences
Things to consider when shopping for an automatic gate openerIt is beyond any reasonable doubt that an automatic gate opener can save you time and stress of having to open your gate manually. However, each gate opener is designed to work with a particular type of gate. Selecting a poor quality opener or one that is not compatible with your gate can be costly and may lead to financial runaway. This guide focuses on the critical factors to be on the lookout each time you are shopping for a gate opener.
Gate typeGates are categorized into two different types that is; the sliding and the swing type. In case you gate slides, get to know its length and ensure it corresponds well to your opener. For swinging gates, the swing type should guide you to select your opener. While some swing gates open with just a single swing, others swing as two pieces. Most dual swing gates are designed with leaves. In case you have a dual swing gate, get to know the length of your leaves before selecting your ideal opener.
Gate weightThe weight of your gate will be dictated by its size and material used. Each gate opener has a maximum weight that it can withstand. Ensure your opener corresponds well to your gate weight.
MaterialWhile some gate openers will work with all gate types, other will not. Always be careful when purchasing your gate opener to avoid selecting one that will not work with your gate.
Power sourceGate openers are either AC or solar powered. For people who do not have electricity, a solar opener can be an ideal choice for you. However, the opener you choose should have a backup battery to give access to your property should the power go off or solar conditions are low.
Safety featuresModern gate openers are programmed to open and close after a specific period while others can be customized to fit your preferences. When the preset time elapses, your gate will automatically close or open according to the action you had taken. In case you delay and try to enter or exit, your gate may encounter an obstruction. A gate opener with safety feature will automatically sense the obstruction, stop and reverse to avoid any collision.
Security featuresAuto-close is one of the security features which help keep your property safe should you forget to close your gate.
Frequency of using your gateWhile frequent opening and closing of your gate will require more power, it will also increase the wear and tear of the moving parts. Choosing a heavy-duty opener can help defy all these damage and stress.
WarrantyAs much as technology comes along with its benefits, you may experience technological problems. Your opener warranty period is very critical should you encounter some technological issues.
Common automatic gate opener problems and how to fix themAutomatic gate operators have been relied upon by many for years now. However, occasionally you may experience some problems barring you from accessing your property. The following are some of the common problems you may encounter with your gate operator and how to fix them.
Gate cannot open using your remoteAutomatic gates require power for you to operate. Check if your gate is powered. If there is a power supply, then the problem may be with your remote. When your remote runs out of battery, you will not be able to open your gate. Try to replace your remote batteries and reopen your gate. If this does not work out, then probably your remote life has come to an end. Contact your manufacturer for a replacement.
Gate stops and reversesModern automatic gate operators have a safety feature which automatically stops and reverses the gate when an obstruction is encountered. Check if there is anything that may be blocking it. For sliding gates, inspect the track and the wheels and check if there could be anything wrapped around. For swing gates, check the level of your gate and lubricate all the joints. If this doesn't resolve the problem, try contacting your manufacturer.
Gate does not open or closeAutomatic gate openers have sensors. When trees, plant or branches extend towards your gate, you may experience difficulties operating it. Trimming any branches and uprooting plants that may have grown along the track can help minimize the levels of obstruction. Regular cleaning can also help prevent your gate from being stuck. If this does not resolve the problem, try resetting your opener settings. Some gate operator will not operate when certain limits are reached. Refer to your manual on how to reprogram your opener.
Gate does not open during summerInsects may find a nesting place on your gate when the summer temperatures go extreme. This may make your gate not to work correctly. Inspect your gate for any signs and destroy all the nests.
Gate only operate when you stand in front of itThis is one of the common problems associated with electric gates. The problem may occur when your signals are interfered by radio signals, TV, wireless networks, military base or airport. Since the signal may come from appliances or sources that you have no control to, changing your remote controls can help minimize the interference.
Gate does not open during winterWhen temperatures go down, the electrochemical reaction of your battery reduces due to low internal temperatures of the cell. This makes it hard for your battery to start. Due to low temperatures, metal components contracts which may hinder you from operating your gate. To resolve the problem, grease your gate joint with low-temperature grease and try re-opening your gate a couple of times.
Gate makes beeping sound during rainy seasonSome gates make beeping sounds especially during a stormy day. In case your gate makes these sounds during a stormy day, and the following day it's functioning well, try to install an additional battery. If this does not resolve the problem, the problem may be technical and may require an expert. Contact your manufacturer for assistance.
Care and maintenance of automatic gate openersProper care of your gate opener can help minimize costly repairs and unexpected servicing. Regular maintenance provides safe and efficient operation of your gate. Here are some of the tips for getting the best from your automatic gate operator.
- Grease the moving mechanism and allow your gate to open and close several times to allow grease to lubricate these parts.
- Put mothballs on the gate control box to prevent pests from chewing wires or nesting
- Spray your actuator hinges with silicon spray during winter season to prevent freezing
- For sliding gate, lubricate your chain drive. Your manual should help you locate your chain drive
- Use compressed air to blow your remote to get rid of any dust
- Keep your remote control away from children
What makes a good automatic gate opener?
- A good automatic opener should work well with your gate
- An excellent automatic gate operator should be easy to install and maintain
- A good gate opener should work as programmed
- A great gate opener should be easy to operate
- A good gate operator should deliver optimal performance
Final VerdictAn automatic gate operator is one of the greatest investments for commercial and residential property owners. The benefits an automatic gate opener gives are incomparable to none. However, only a quality opener will help you keep your property secure and reduce the stress of operating your gate manually. While quality is an important feature to factor out, the best automatic gate opener should correspond well with your gate weight, size, length, material, type, and design.
Featured Image Legacy